Advice for the Kids
- Get into a routine
- Listen – to your parents, teachers
- Set your goals early – write these down, write how you will achieve them, regularly review your goals.
- Do not procrastinate
- Ask for help, don’t suffer in silence
- Choose your friends wisely
- Eat healthy, get lots of exercise and sleep well
- Believe in yourself, do your best and ask God to help you
Finally, when you feel overwhelmed, speak to God
Remember Phillipians 4:6
“Do not worry about anythingInstead pray about everythingTell God what you needAnd thank Him for all He has done”
Advice for Parents
- Have routines in place – morning routines, after-school routines, bed time routines and share this with the kids
- Create a family calendar that tracks everyone’s activities and commitments.
- Set up weekly meetings to review your kids’ and family activities for the week(s) ahead.
- Establish a set “Family Time,” whether it’s during dinner or before bed.
- Teach your kids to prioritize their homework by making to-do lists with deadlines (check their school planner/homework diary)
- Refresh your rules about screen time for the school year. What’s allowed and when? – Make it very clear!!!!
- Make early and frequent contact with your child’s teacher
- Know your child’s friends.
- Eat at least two dinners together each week
- Make a home for everything
- Create a structured time and place for homework
- Become a familiar face at school
- Ask your child questions and listen to the answers.
- Get your kids involved in at least one extra-curricular activity – this gives them a chance to interact with other kids and burn off excess energy.
- Meet some of the other parents, especially the parents of your child’s friends
- Be thankful. Be grateful
- Be supportive.